Summer is finally here and that means three things: swimming, sun, and ice cream! I love ice cream…like really love ice cream. I’m one of those people that eats ice cream year round, I’ll eat ice cream in 40 degree weather and I’ll eat ice cream in 140 degree whether, (okay that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but honestly you guys, it sometimes feels like 140 degrees here in Texas during the summer). Okay, now back to this ice cream! This peach ice cream is so delicious! It’s absolutely creamy, peachy, and refreshing with tart yet sweet chunks of peaches sprinkled throughout. I mean how much more summer-y can it get?! I made the ice cream with fresh peaches since they’re in season right now and I really wouldn’t do it any other way. The deal with frozen peaches is, when you’re making this ice cream you have to make a homemade peach syrup so if you use frozen peaches you won’t get all the juice that you would normally get with fresh peaches so I would say fresh is better! Also a little added bonus is 1/2 teaspoon of Mexican vanilla that gives it a little boost of flavor! I hope you enjoy summer in a bowl aka this ice cream!
Fresh Peach Ice Cream (makes 1 quart)
-2 cups finely chopped fresh peaches, peeled (about 5-6 large peaches or about 8-10 small peaches)
-1 1/4 cups sugar
-juice of 1/2 lemon
-2 large eggs
-2 cups heavy or whipping cream
-1 cup whole milk
-1/2 tsp. Mexican vanilla
- Combine the peaches, 1/2 cup of sugar, and the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for 2 hours and stir every 30 minutes (this process creates the peach syrup that you will add to the ice cream base)
- Remove the peaches from the refrigerator and drain the juice with a strainer into a large bowl. Return the peach chunks to the refrigerator. (You will add them to the mixture later)
- Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute extra. Then pour in the cream and whole milk and whisk to blend. Add the peach juice(syrup) and blend.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- After the ice cream stiffens, about 1 minute before its done, add in the peach chunks, then freeze until the ice cream is ready.
- Store in airtight container in freezer or eat all of it at once like I do!
*RECIPE ADAPTED FROM BEN AND JERRY’S “FRESH GEORGIA PEACH ICE CREAM” from their “Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book”